Monday, August 16, 2004

Configuring Dell Truemobile 1400 WLAN mini pci card a.k.a BCM 94306 802.11 b/g card on Fedora Core 2

This is a detailed account what I did. Mostly the mistakes.

I downloaed ndiswrapper-0.9 and untarred, compiled and installed. I downloaded the latest drivers for the card from Dell. The files are found under R81435/AR dir. The files bcmw15a.inf was used for installation.

ndiswrapper -i /etc/bcmw15a.inf

ndiswrapper -l
Installed ndis drivers:
bcmwl5a hardware present

modprobe ndiswrapper

ndiswrapper -m will install the modules and update /etc/modprobe.conf.

Initally the ndiswrapper was not working with the drivers I had. So I tried with linuxant driverloader which too didnt work. Later, I downloaded the new drivers, which also was not working since both the modules were loading and conflicting each other. Once I rmmod driverloader and uninstalled the rpm, the WLAN interface started working fine.

iwconfig eth1 essid
iwconfig eth1 enc restricted
iwconfig eth1 key
iwconfig eth1 Mode managed

ifconfig eth1 up



No comments: