Sunday, August 22, 2004

Kernel 2.6.8.1 on going compile and build

I compiled the latest 2.6.8.1 for my Inspiron 8.6K. Mine is a lvm based file system. So the LVM info is embeded within the kernel. The following errors appeared when loading the kernel for the system.

Refusing to enable local APIC.
Dell Inspiron with broken BIOS detected.
Fatal: Module pcmica_core not found
fstype vfat not supported by kernel
Module ip_tables not fount
i8k: unable to get SMM Bios Version
i8k: Unable to get SMM Dell Signature
vesafb: probe of vesafb0 failed with error -6
mdmpd failed.

After loading the new kernel, I installed the modules which fixed most of the problems. I recompiled and reinstalled ndiswrapper for 2.6.8.1.

The Dell BIOS needs to be updated which is in the next plan. i8k is popular for not working with all Inspiron models. I need to check that.

mdmpd is something to do with RAID. I right now dont know much about that. I simply ran
chkconfig mdmpd off
which will switch off the loading of that module with the current runlevel.

vesafb is to with X and loading and rendering of X. For me the Xorg/GNOME works fine. So I am ignoring this error for at present.

Finally got the nvidia drivers on to my new kernel. I downloaded NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6111-pkg1.run from the nvidia site and installed on my 2.6.8.1 kernel. It was a breeze. I changed the /etc/X11/xorg.conf as below.

Load "dri" commented out
Load "nv" commented out
Load "nvidia" added new

Option "NvAGP" "1" added as new on Device section under Nvidia



No comments: